Saturday 14 September 2013

Basil and Pesto

With a frost due any night in Canada it is time to harvest the basil, make a big batch of pesto and freeze the surplus.

 
For me the best way to preserve the basil harvest through the winter is to freeze it.
I do this by stripping the leaves from the stems and throwing the leaves in a blender with enough olive oil to make a puree.
This mix then goes into muffin trays to be frozen. I find that if I line the trays with paper, then once the basil mix is frozen I can remove from the metal trays and throw the frozen patties into a bag. Each time I need to use basil for cooking or pesto it is easy to take a patty of two out of the freezer to use. Or even cut a patty in 1/2 if necessary.
 
 
To make pesto, I don't really use a recipe.
I blend several handfuls of fresh basil with enough olive oil to make a puree ( or use a thawed basil patty or two)
Add a tbsp of nuts to the blender-pine nuts, walnuts or cashews.
Add a tbsp or more of grated parmesan cheese.
Add 1-2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste.
Blend all together, and serve on pasta or use as a dip.
A nice variation to plain pasta pesto is to add a few raw diced tomatoes.
Top with more grated parmesan cheese.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment